Tagging Supplies What will you Need?
Before you begin, make sure you have everything you are going to need to prepare your items to sale. Consignment sale aficionados will put together a tagging supplies box, where everything can be quickly found and located in one place.
We recommend you have the following Tagging Supplies:
- Hangers – check with Carters, Oshkosh, Old Navy, or ask your Dry Cleaner. You may also purchase hangers from dollar store, Wal-Mart and other discount stores.
Turn your wire hanger into a small clothing hanger by bending (see above left
picture) or turn it into a pants hanger using duct tape (see above right picture) using safety pins, zip ties, etc to attach pants.
Tagging gun for clothes with barbs (PREFERRED)
The benefits of using a Tagging gun.
- Much faster then safety pins.
- More economical the safety pins.
- Secures you tags to the items.
- Prevents tag switching.
Tagging guns and barbs can be purchased locally at Grand+Benendicts, thru online retailers or by contacting us.
If you do not have a tagging gun, use: 1 to 1 1/2 inch Safety Pins (Do NOT use small pins & larger pins leave holes). No tiny pins. No straight pins - straight pins are dangerous to our shoppers and our VIPs!
Optional items that you may need:
- WHITE 65lb Card stock paper (Do NOT use reg. paper) – can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Office Depot, Office Max, or Staples.
- Clear packing tape – For attaching tags to Ziploc bags and plastic toys.
- Painter’s Blue tape – For attaching tags to books, games, and puzzle boxes. Unlike regular masking tape, blue painters tape prevents tearing of surface of items.
- Rough jute, string, or ribbon,
- Scissors or paper cutter to cut tags.
- Rubber bands – For grouping all clothing sets together.
- Zip ties or cable ties – check the Dollar Tree, Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, or Fred Meyer. 4" ties work well for clothing items and 7" ties work best for shoes. Zip ties can be wonderful when tagging! Punch a hole through the center of your tag (we suggest you reinforce your punched hole with a piece of clear packing tape), thread zip tie through and attach to pant with belt loops, shoes, belts, anything you can secure a zip tie around. Connect small to mid-size pieces to a larger piece (toy, etc.). Hook a hair accessory to an outfit, a bonnet to a dress, etc. Easy and removal does not cause damage!
- A variety of zip lock style bags (primarily Gallon & Quart sized) – Check the Dollar Store for extra large zip lock type storage bags. Great for blocks, Lego sets, race tracks, train tracks, etc.
- Pen and Marker.
- Black Printer ink – please use black ink to print your tags .
Items pictured above can be purchased at Dollar Tree or other discount stores
- 3 x 5 index cards – for multiple bagged items.
- Hole punch – for attaching price tags to shoes (could use scissors or needle point of tagging gun).
- Saran wrap – for keeping puzzles together, lids on board games, and keeping power chargers to larger items, etc.
- Storage boxes/bins – Many experienced consignors make use of plastic containers to store their children’s clothing by seasons.
NOW Let’s Gather Your Items
Grab a bin
Go through your children’s toys and put the toys they are no longer using in your bin
Check their dressers and closets for clothes
Don’t forget to check the closets for those stored items that are no longer being used/worn
Check the other closets in your house where you might have stored some of their items
Check the garage
Check the yard
Now that you have gathered everything you are ready to start going through them to make sure they are ready to consign. In general, items must be in excellent, clean and odor free condition with no signs of wear and no damage such as pilling, tears, holes, missing buttons, dysfunctional zippers, and stains.
Please remember that it is important to spend a little extra time getting your items ready. This will make a HUGE difference on your profits. Clothes that are clean, pressed, and smell fresh, with buttons and zippers closed, look better and generally sell quicker. Starch, a little bleach, an iron, or a needle and thread work wonders! The same applies to furniture, large toys and outdoor play equipment. Remove all dirt, grime and marks. Make sure all parts are included; place any small parts in zip-lock bags, then securely attach the bag to the main part. If you have the manuals, please put them in a zip-lock bag and attach them to the item. Presentation sells your items, so a few extra seconds here, sells more of your items, which means more money for YOU!
ThriftMouse Quality Inspection
Every item will be inspected at Drop-Off. Please don't be offended if we ask you to take back some of your items. It is often easy to miss a spot or tear when preparing items at home. We are committed to selling the best quality merchandise and we want you as a shopper to have confidence that you are buying the best.